Wednesday, October 2, 2013

TSL Chapter 9 -- Present Dryness

Overview

Since CSL didn't title his chapters, I'll do it for him. In Chapter Nine Screwtape proves that he's a demon of his word by carrying through on his promise to tell Wormwood how to exploit the down cycles of a human's Undulation.

He suggests that vices (sex, drink) are more tempting when a man's inner world is "drab and cold and empty" but warns that pleasure, at its core, is a Godly invention. No matter -- demons can make good use of it, by distorting or perverting natural pleasures into unGodly ones.

He also cautions Wormwood to make sure his target never suspects the natural cycle of things, but rather despairs or accepts a low-grade "moderated" religion, which is "as good" as "no religion at all."

Finally, he suggests that Wormwood encourage The Patient to think of his Christianity as a  phase that he has grown out of -- a childish thing he has left behind.

Literature

Demons engage in Research and Development -- although they're not very good at it. Apparently they have been trying to engineer some new pleasures but haven't been successful.

He also points out that, style-wise, it's best to damn a man having given him nothing in return. We knew demons were sadistic -- now we know they're petty!

Theology

A moderated religion is no religion at all -- or to put it another way: if you're lukewarm, you'll be spat out.

In Anglican theology (CSLs) I read this as a warning to be committed with the attendant dangers of being uncommitted being eternal damnation (and ultimately being part of Satan).

In Calvinist theology, it's more of a litmus test for salvation: if you're moderate / lukewarm, then it may be a sign you're not actually saved (or maybe just a sign you need to grow more).

In both, it's a bad sign and something that requires divine intervention to resolve. CSL notes that a surefire way to capture a human soul is to set someone on the quixotic task of regaining their dedication and passion through their own will. Human willpower may be required, but isn't sufficient.

My Reaction

I read these (and other) condemnations of moderate or "moderated" or lukewarm religion and I see myself in that category.

I can sort of imagine what I might look like if I were "hot" -- but my image is exhausting and somewhat dismal. I suspect it's possibly the result of some erroneous assumptions.

More importantly, when I see lukewarmness in myself, instead of feeling inspired to do better and push on toward hot-ness, I tend to feel sullen and demoralized: yeah... I probably *should*... I mean, heck, I'd like to be 'hot!' But what's it going to matter anyway? I'll just undulate back down and I'm probably damned / doomed anyway, and it sounds like no-fun-at-all.

I think I'll pass. If my Immortal Soul's taken care of, it's all good and if it isn't? Nothing I can do will make a difference anyway...

That kind of uninspired reaction probably wasn't what CSL was looking for -- although maybe it was; maybe he'd be pleased to know his barbs are hitting their intended targets.

No comments:

Post a Comment